7.08.2008

On what it is to be the underdog's cutman.

More often than we'd like
it happens that the ones who say it
have the least right to do so
while the Meek are mistaken
for the Weak

and the Machine grinds on
chewing up Virgins in its path

leaving what's left for the Menders
or the Scavs, depending.


The Chairman of the Board
or
the Prince of Persia:

it doesn't matter
if he can't find comfort
in the sound of a ratchet

(it means the gears are working
the bolts are tightening
and sometimes that's all
you can ask for).

And I'm sorry that these bombs I drop
are different--

deadly just the same, but smaller
and more accurate.

I kill less babies that way
and what's the going rate?
Three-fifty?

It's keeping me up at night, and not
because of what I've done for once
but what I'd like to
if given the chance.

Never was a promise she could keep
and maybe you know what that means
but, if not, you can always find something new
to synchronize with Dark Side while smoking dope
to eat up all that spare time you'll be having.

The best of talks...
The greatest of linguistic exchanges!





Currently reading:
"Tropic of Cancer" by Henry Miller.

No comments: