5.18.2009

Stupid kids talking politics.

Landmines and bayonets aren't meant to kill--
they're meant to maim, leave men screaming for help.
Same thing with bullets with full metal jackets;
they go right through the person, don't mushroom
on impact like your standard lead-tipped hunting round.
The reasoning behind all these lovely little inventions being
that an injured man takes three men off the battlefield--
the victim, and two of his allies to drag him to safety.
Disfiguring a man for thinking differently
and counting on the loyalty of his peers to kick in.
What a lovely way to win a war.

And after it's won, what does one do?
Well, the United States chose to rebuild Japan
after leveling two of its cities with the first and only
nuclear weapons deployed in combat
to date, that we know of.
We industrialized a country so effectively
that it out-smarted and out-sold our technological sector
for the following decades to come.
And the Germans got a similar consolation prize
though not as profound. See, us Yankees stole
the design of the classic German Mauser
to create the 1903 Springfield Bolt-Action Rifle, a military
standard issued to 'Merican snipers right on up until
the turn of the following century.
So, in true diplomatic fashion, after neutralizing the Nazi threat
we proceeded to pay royalties to Germany
for the patent law infringement associated with one of the
weapons that helped us send Hitler back to Hell.
Makes sense, right? At least it's in accordance with
similar common practices of the so-called Powers That Be.

I gave up rooting for the home team a long time ago.
It's hopeless. We're all doomed, it's a matter of when.
I joined the NRA so I can jokingly make dramatic references
to "my cold, dead hands" like the departed Mr. Heston.
They haven't sent me my sticker yet, I hope there's still time.
At this point I'm just waiting for the missiles to fly
and pray that I'll be on the verge of something worthwhile
when the mushroom cloud engulfs my computer and me.

This one wouldn't have counted.

No comments: