8.17.2009

Something borrowed, something blue, something old, something new."

In a laundry-scheduling blunder
worthy of a swift
slap to the forehead
I let my four towels
enter the hamper
before leaving for
the weekend.

My error hadn't been
discovered until I went
to shower off
a nauseous day of work
this morbid Monday evening.

My hand was forced.
I pulled the brown one
from my shelf
and slung it over the curtain rod
in a bathroom that needs a cleaning
as desperately as my memory does.

The recent addition to the roster
hung there laughing to itself
as lukewarm water ran down my back
this time unaccompanied
by a pair of willing elbows
to soothe away the ache.

A band of honeycomb pattern
four inches from the draped edge
winked and prodded at my cheeks.

"I did the right thing," I told
a frayed thread dangling from the
corner of the towel.

"Didn't I?"

The kind leave nothing behind.

No comments: