8.27.2009

Un Padre renuente y la Enfermera obstinada.

Eddie

As happy as I am for you
I wish you weren't in the mountains
camping for the weekend
and would be there to talk tomorrow
while we're waiting for our checks.

Eddie

Sometimes I wish you weren't such
a stand-up guy
the kind I'd like to call my own
'cause we'll both have to settle
for this surrogate status.

Eddie

Sometimes I try to picture
what your life was like at my age
to see if I can stick it out
for just a few more decades.

Eddie

If I knew she'd be home
and could keep a secret
I'd take a ride out to your place tomorrow
to talk to the one good woman
you've found in this world
but no good woman can keep a secret
from the man she loves.

Eddie

Sometimes I wish
you weren't so afraid
to show your feelings
for more than five minutes at a clip
and if you'd let me I'd give you
a teary-eyed, snot-congested hug.

But Eddie

We're construction workers
and that sort of thing
just ain't allowed.

I'd kill for a cigarette
but I seem to have quit
though a Sam Adams over a burger
at that hole in the wall
where we used to have our liquid lunch
every Saturday
sounds like therapy to me.

Eddie

Strength is an illusion
but the tape measure doesn't lie.

Have a good weekend with the boys.
Hope to see you Monday.

No comments: