2.12.2018

Sea-Lashed

A wasted day at work
warrants a new wine.
Abortions are best
put to rest by a bottle.
This Sauvignon Blanc
from Southern Australia
lured me with its trout
on the label
like a fish in the aisle.
2014 was a better year
so it was worth a shot.

The notes, as described
reflect citrus and tropics.
There's nothing I hate more
than a liar put in print.
A tab on the left says
"To Remember, Peel Here".
I do so and look on the back
of the paper
but it's enviously blank.

I read the front again:
The brand, region
year, and varietal.
It's only a note
to stick in your wallet
for the next time
at the liquor store
in case you can't recall
what's worthy.

I shove it down the empty neck;
a meaningless message in a bottle.
I won't need the token.
Their marketing is brilliant
though millions
could be made
if it helped to forget.

My better hand rubs
a crooked coat of arms
and tries to bury a decade.

I wonder if I'll have
the tools I'll need for tomorrow.


Currently reading:
"Geek Love" by Katherine Dunn.

No comments: