3.21.2024

Premonitions

[For Jeff Newman

who saw my mother

pushing me in a stroller

around Rockland Lake

in 1986

and said I should have been

his.]


Three years ago

when I still bought

Ruffino Chianti

since we'd watched 

"The Sopranos" together

the liquor store

undercharged me

for the premium version, 2012.

We saved the bottle 

for a special occasion

collecting dust 

in the meantime

foolishly waiting.


Two nights ago 

while reviewing

my list of blocked phone numbers

I came across the one

who maliciously told me

of your Engagement

and wondered when

the next inevitable news

would come.


Tonight I received it

from an innocent source:

a Union brother

trying to do what was right.

"She's Expecting."

He proceeded to ask

if I'd heard of a band

called Vampire Weekend.

Sucked dry of blood

but not having the heart

to hurt the harmless

I fizzled out in conversation

though he sensed it

and apologized.


"Crafted from the best vineyards...

aged for 36 months...

violet, cherry, and plum aromas...

14.5% alcohol by volume..."

I couldn't get the cork out

fast enough this evening.


Here's to everything

you've always wanted

everything you deserve

and what I woud have gladly given

in time

that we don't have.


No comments: