7.22.2024

Select the Lover With the Worst Therapist

Stop me if I've told you

this one before, but when

my dad was a kid

his father took him

and his two siblings

to their lakefront property

in the Adirondacks every summer.


One year, in the late 1950s

or maybe it was in the early 1960s

when rope was more common 

than ratchet straps

a strong gust of wind rose

and blew their rowboat off the roof

of the family station wagon

while crossing a bridge

on northbound Interstate 87

en route to the mountains.

It crashed down into the valley

below and they kept driving

hoping that no one had been injured.


It could have been one of two bridges

and one of two ravines

just south of Cairo, New York.

I'm not sure which ones

since I was only a kid 

when my dad told me

as he took me to the Adirondacks

each summer that I choose to remember 

before those water rights

were sold to the highest bidder


but it's not

and never will be

my story to tell.


Enough about that, though.

Thanks for not stopping me.

How was your Monday?


No comments: