8.09.2008

Splish Splash I'm In Need of a Bath

Tea for two and two for tea
and the only good Indian is a dead Indian
the answer to "How do you know it's Real?" being
"I haven't done Something Stupid yet."

French Quarters and state quarters
and reading how the legends lived through them
grew into their shoes before dying, literally
or falling off.
"Do you want to live forever?" the sergeant asked the PFC
before shoving him out of the plane
not giving him time to answer.

It's nothing new to history, his story.

Last night before bed I picked my nose and saw blood
the thin bright red kind, watered down and fresh
only from one nostril so I wasn't all that worried
as I wiped my face and finger clean
my main concern being staining my pastel sheets
so when I woke up this morning it came as a relief
to find them unscathed
and when I spat into the sink
it didn't taste like pennies anymore.

What is it about dropping trees close to a house
on a balmy August mid-morning with rope and chainsaw
that hardens any red-blooded sailor?

A : Maybe the rope and chainsaw.

The rabbit's trying to gnaw through the mattress again.
Better go tend to that, George.
(She smells like maple
leaves; fingers, arms, and toes, maybe
but she never bites my face.)
A swan dive on the bed, 8.5 out of 10
and she scampers back to her corner
cocking her head, no longer twitching her nose
showing who the crazy one is, the animal.

Bernie Mac died of pneumonia and not a soul stopped laughing.
We'd be lying if we pretended to care.

But I'm more of a coffee guy, light and sweet
and some of us are better at collecting scalps than others.



Currently reading:
"The Complete Poems of Ernest Hemingway"

No comments: