3.03.2009

First Commandment, Second Amendment, Third Strike.

"Fire protection fitters have it made."

"Why's that?"

"All their pipe comes pre-fabbed from the shop."

"Cut to length. Mindless installation."

"Exactly."

"And macho uniforms."

"Whatd'ya mean?"

"You know, the sprinkler guys from that last job."

"The Rock-Safe Boys?"

"Yeah, with the camo pants, combat boots, black shirts..."

"You ever been to their shop?

"No, but it sounds like you have."

"My old contractor sold them some tools once. I delivered."

"So what was the deal with their place?"

"There were M-16s and AK-47s laying around everywhere."

"Why?"

"They think they're some kind of militia."

"You're joking."

"Nope. They even use military issue ammo crates for storage."

"Of the guns?"

"Of the tools."

"So why didn't you sign up? You're from Pine Bush."

"I may listen to country, but assault rifles don't turn me on."

"Construction workers make for good stories."

"Storytellers make good enemies."

"People don't believe me when I tell them these things anyway."

"It's not that. They just don't care."

No comments: