4.09.2013

Buck

We were running late
so I was speeding
but hit the pedal
on the left
as we approached
the troubled tail lights.

"I wish I had my gun."

In the shoulder
next to someone's lawn
a deer thrashed its last--
hind legs and pelvis crushed.
One antler was broken off.
Its hooves flailed
like piñata bats.

"I'd stop and put it down."

My partner shrugged
said something fitting
as my eyes hugged the yellow lines
to keep my stomach from turning
at the site of unfair suffering.

"The one time I could use it."

We drove by the scene.
My friend drummed his fingers
on the void above the glovebox.
For the first time I noticed
the tip of his index missing
on his left hand.
Is it impolite to ask?

"I should go back and get it."
But I didn't, and feel guilty.

The party's already started.
Some of us are just waiting
for the right time to dance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since you cаn't change your age or sex, and most people aren't goіng to
get married oг move to another ѕtаtе just to gеt cheapeг car inѕuranсe, there's not much you can do about it. In compliance, you should hold the least mandatory insurance:. According to the Ombudsman, "one of the objects of insurance is to protect the insured from loss due to his own negligence even if such negligence constitutes a crime1.

Visit my website vehicle insurance