8.19.2024

Why I'll Die a Bachelor

One of the first people

I met when I came here

a-decade-and-a-half ago

jumped off a bridge

a few months back.

I'd heard it on the radio

during my morning commute

but didn't know that it was him.


I can't call him a friend.

He was a neighbor.

We butted heads

once or twice.

I saw his aggression

for what it was:

overcompensation

insecurity

weakness--

and kept a safe distance.

He claimed I was crazy

but I knew what he hid.


When he and his girl moved

out from below me

I wasn't sad.

I'll be frank:

I wasn't sad

when I heard the news 

either


but when I saw the online fundraiser

posted by his wife's sister

and read about "the loss of her life partner"

and then after a brief Google search

read about her filing for divorce

a few weeks prior to his suicide

and then read how there would be

no memorial service

but a tree would be planted

in his honor at an undisclosed location

in a cemetery

and next read that the abundance

of funds would pay for a bench

so mourners could sit and reflect

under the limbs of this man's 

return to the Universe


then I was sad;


not for the coward

who leapt into the Hudson

but for the three boys

he'd left behind

to a mother who'd pretended

that a life could be chalked up

to a pathetic plea for money

and some lousy landscaping work

at a place that no one 

who tried to know him

will ever actually see.


He was named after

a soap opera character

and died just as melodramatically--

"in the belly of the beast,"

as he'd phrased it.


No comments: