10.10.2008

Anole.

Every time my uncle Ray
comes to visit from Florida
he tells a story about me staying
with him down there as a kid
catching lizards to pass the time
while he was away at work.

Only somewhere along the line
his mind's eye gets muddled.
He claims to recall
a trick I allegedly did
where I'd con the captured lizards
into opening their mouths
hold them next to my ears until
they'd bite down on the lobes
and wear them as earrings.

I'm not sure where he conjured
this false memory from
but it sure is elaborate
for a totally incorrect story
though most fibs usually are.

Whenever he tells this tale
the people present in the room
always look at me and laugh
uncomfortably, smiling a little
while trying to figure out
how the hell a small child
would get such an absurd idea.
I always respond by glancing away
to avoid awkward eye contact

but never
not once
have I denied that it happened
however ridiculous a notion it is.

Sometimes you have to let people
remember what they want to
even when it didn't really happen
even when other people judge you for it.

It's the least I can do
for a man who taught me to fish
before I could even ride a bike.

No comments: