10.13.2008

On my last talk with the Devil.

"I want it back. It's not worth it
anymore."

"Sorry, Kid. Doesn't work that way."

"Tough shit, Lou. Even you gotta have
some kind of warranty
if not a heart."

"Have you forgotten with whom you're dealing?"

"No, good point and good English...but come on.
It used to be fun, now it makes me
think too much
gets me out of bed at night
forces me to jot things down while driving
distracts me at work.
It used to get me pussy
now it just pisses off my friends."

"All part of the price you pay.
Should've read the fine print."

"I would've but it's dark down here."

"Funny."

"Cut me some slack.
It's late and this idea
isn't as original as I thought
it was in the shower this afternoon."

"Fair enough. Where were we?"

"Something about the trade I made
thinking it'd pay off in the long run
and the unfairness of the rude awakening
when I found out that no one can write
what they want all the time and get away
with it consistently, no one's immune
to the scrutiny of even those closest to them
and no matter how much a perfect world
would like to convince you otherwise
a writer can't just say his piece
without painful consequences
if he hopes to maintain any relationships
with friends, family, and the opposite sex
because self-imposed censorship
the filter between the brain and the mouth
well, fingertips
is the only way to sustain the balance
between chaotic creation and
a responsible product."

"Listen, pal, you got the better
end of the deal here.
I practically gave it away on this one.
Your number was as good as mine
according to those sixty-something souls.
This transaction was just insurance."

"Insurance in case of what?"

"In case later in life
you continue to follow
in your old man's footsteps
by choosing to go the way of
the Great Oppressor again
after you put them down."

"Them?"

"The bottle, the ego, the past
the list goes on and on.
You'd know it by heart
if you had the balls to call him
and level."

"Level. Plumb and square.
Oh, the irony.
You win again, Lou."

"Not in the Last Chapter, Kid."

And then we woke up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you call the devil by ya mama's name? you must really be ridin' that demon train!