1.31.2010

Drumstick

After chasing her around the room
a few times I finally managed to
trap her in the bed. Whoever assumes
that all rabbits are cuddly little critters
who love human attention is terribly mistaken.
My two-year-old dwarf wants nothing to
do with me and very little to do with anyone else.
The hand that feeds is her favorite to bite;
but at least she does her nails while she's at it.

Let me clarify. Most pet rabbits need to
have their claws clipped from time to time.
If they grow too long they can snap off
during the whole hippity-hop routine
(one of the few stereotypes which is true).
I've had five over the course of my life
and all of them have let me trim their nails.
My current furry friend, however, will
have no part in that endeavour. She won't let me
pick her up, let alone try to cut something off of her.
I didn't want to see her suffer should on of them
break off so I took her to the pet store a year ago
to have the people there have a go at it. One girl
held the bunny down while the other tried (and failed)
to cut her nails. All in all it was a failure and I
still paid the lousy ten bucks.

Then a few weeks ago I decided to make an appointment
with a local vet that had been recommended to me.
It'd cost more than that Hamilton, but would be worth
it if it meant that the rabbit's paws would be protected
from any painful injuries. The day of the appointment came
and I was forced to cancel. Something else came up
that required my immediate attention. Since then I'd been
putting off rescheduling due to my lack of funds
other than the weekly unemployment check
and feeling rather guilty over it.

Tonight, after catching her on my bed
I noticed that she'd taken matters into her own hands.
No longer did her nails protrude from the fur on her paws.
I took a closer look and saw small toothmarks
where she'd bitten them off, essentially giving herself
a manicure since her broke owner wasn't going to foot the bill soon.
I kissed her head in appreciation. She clenched her eyes in disapproval.
The females in my life adapt and overcome my many shortcomings.
I wish they didn't have to, but they do. I hope to pay it back someday.
Don't be fooled by my bellyaching. I'm a lucky man.

No comments: