12.18.2008

oh, anaphora...

i knew i was starting the day in typical fashion
when my alarm clock startled me
to the point where i jerked my leg
causing my calf to cramp.
as the bell got progressively louder
i spun myself around, braced one arm against
the floor and pounded the snooze button
vengefully with the other.
i laid there for a few minutes
not knowing whether to stretch my muscle
or let it curl up.
there's nothing like starting a day with acute pain.
if nothing else it reminds you that you're alive.
i laid there resenting the fact.

haven't opened my shades in days
since
a sin that's hidden is half forgiven
or so says giovanni.

just keep keeping away from run around sue.
just keep moving your lips as you stand in the choir--
the audience won't notice that you're not singing.

and that's the nature of things:
feast or famine.
always first or last
in the chow line
never in the middle.
it's a hell of a way to breeze through the days.
it's working for now.

someone's ghostwriting my life;
someone's ghostriding my whip.
the captain's lost the helm again

goddamn those buccaneers.

No comments: