4.14.2009

I'm sure it's been done before, and better.

Came home from a night of welding
to the porch light on and waiting.
The clock next to the front door
was still an hour slow
weeks after most other Americans
had dutifully changed theirs.
Cursed my laziness
and checked my watch
which was three minutes behind
according to the nearest cell tower.

Time and I never have gotten along.
It's one thing that hasn't changed much.

I opened the door and was followed inside
by a moth the size of a small bat.
It fluttered around the kitchen
confused as anything else out of its element
finally finding the glowing bulb above the stove
and bouncing off that a few dozen times.

My boots were heavier than usual
my empty stomach churned
and I needed a shower like a man needs a maid
but I took the precious twenty seconds to catch
the poor thing in my hand and set it free outside.

I know what it is to be attracted to that bright light
that's only going to burn you in the end.
"No soldiers left behind," if I can help it.

No comments: